Monday, March 8, 2010

Taco Soup


I'm not the biggest fan of winter... so when it gets cold I love to have soup. This taco soup is so flavorful and not only warms me up when I'm cold, it gets me excited about my favorite season- SUMMER!!

Here's what you need:

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tb olive oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
1 1/4 cups water
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chopped green chiles
2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avacado, sliced
sour cream

In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

Stir in corn, chiles, beans and chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour soup into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and avacado slices.

1 comment: