Friday, March 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies



I was always one of those people who bought the store bought cookie mix that you just add an egg, butter and water to. But as I was going through some old recipes I found my mom's homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe and decided to give it a shot. They turned out ok but I wanted to make the perfect cookie... It took me quite a few tries of altering the recipe here and there, but I've finally done it!!

So here it is, the perfect chocolate chip cookie- and I'm not joking when I say do it exactly as it is written. The technique in adding the ingredients, I've come to find out, is just as important as the ingredients themselves. You can use the exact same amounts of ingredients and one batch will turn out gritty, and another too runny depending on how you add them to the mix. So pay attention! ;)

What you'll need:

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup softened (not melted) butter (not margerine :)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix shortening, butter, sugar and brown sugar together until smooth. Add vanilla, baking soda, salt and egg and mix well. Add 1 cup of flour, mix well. Then 1 Tbsp milk, mix. Add 1 cup flour, mix. Add 1 Tbsp milk, mix. Add the last 1/4 cup flour and mix. Add chocolate chips and mix.

Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. The cookies should have just a little bit of browning on the tops. As you pull the pan out of the oven, hit the bottom of the pan on the stovetop to flatten the cookies (just a bit) and let them sit on the cookie sheet for at least 1 minute before taking them off. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!

My husband actually prefers these to store bought (which makes me happy) and he frequently asks me to make them. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment