Friday, March 12, 2010

Sweet and Sour Green Beans



The first Thanksgiving I had with my husband's side of the family they had the traditional green bean casserole. You know, the one with the cream of mushroom soup and crispy onions on top? Well I've gotta admit, I don't remember my family ever making those green beans growing up, so I wondered, "How traditional is this casserole?" At our house it was always my grandma's sweet and sour green beans. I've made it a few times for my husband's family (one of those times being last Thanksgiving which we celebrated at our house) and they all seemed to enjoy it.

So thanks Meme for always making such delicious green beans and for passing along the recipe.

Why are they so delicious you may ask? Well what if I told you there was 8 strips of bacon and a lot of sugar? hehehehe.... Cause we all know that bacon makes everything taste that much better!!

Here's what you need:

3 cans of french style green beans
1 medium onion cut into thin rings
8 bacon strips (or the whole package if you really feel like it. I know I usually do ;)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

*YOU MUST DO THIS THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU PLAN ON SERVING THIS DISH*

Drain beans and place in a 13x9 casserole dish. Place onion rings over beans. Cook bacon and set aside. (Leaving the grease in the pan) Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it and the almonds over the beans. Cook sugar and vinegar in bacon grease until dissolved. Pour over beans.

Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment